Spironolactone for Acne Breakouts
Spironolactone is the generic form of Aldactone, a prescription drug. It is used to treat many different disorders like:
- Hyperaldosteronism, acondition in which the body produces an excess amount of Aldosterone hormone
- Heart failure
- Low level of potassium
- Fluid retention of Edemadue to conditions like kidney and liver disease
- High blood pressure alongwith other medications
Spironolactoneis often prescribed by doctor’s off-label for the treatment of acne break-outin women due to increased androgen levels. It is a potassium-sparing diuretic often called water pill. It acts asan anti-androgen hormone that is specifically linked to acne development.Spironolactone works by blocking the androgen receptor in the body. This preventsthe cells from absorbing the androgen hormone.
However,do not use this as first-line treatment for acne breakout. It is only effectiveif acne is due to hormonal imbalances. Use this with other topical acnemedications or contraceptives. It works best if it is used along with otheracne medications instead of using it all alone.
How to Use Spironolactone
Take thismedication orally. Your dose is based on the condition of your acne. The mostcommon dose of this medication in treating acne is 50 to 100mg a day. Yourdermatologist may start giving you a low dose, typically 25 mg a day.
If youwill experience acne breakout again around the same time of your menstrualcycle, your doctor may prescribe you to use this medication a week prior toyour menstrual cycle.
Possible Side Effects of Spironolactone
A lowdose of this medication may not cause side effects unlike with higher dose.Common side effects are:
- Breast tenderness
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Dry mouth
- Low blood pressure
- An increased level ofpotassium
Getting the Best Result from Spironolactone
- Always check your bloodpressure and blood potassium level when taking this medication.
- This medication is not agood choice for women with kidney problems, and a history of breast, uterineand ovarian cancer.
- Take this medication witha meal to avoid stomach upset. Drink plenty of water every day because thismedication acts as diuretics.
- Your dermatologist mayprescribe you first other acne medications like retinoid and antibiotics. Ifthese medications won’t work, then your acne breakout may be due to hormonalimbalances.
- Good results may take upto three to four months so be patient in waiting