Omeprazole is a prescription drug that comes in packet, suspension, tablet and capsule form. It’s a widely used treatment for:
- Gastroesophagealreflux disease (GERD)
- Erosiveesophagitis (damaged in the esophagus due to acid)
- Stomachulcers caused by H. pylori bacteria
- Gastricand duodenal ulcers
- Gastrointestinaltract bleeding
- Dyspepsia:a condition that causes belching, sour stomach, indigestion and heartburn
It is sometimes used to treat Zollinger Ellison syndrome, arare illness caused by a tumor in the gut or pancreas. Adults, pregnant andbreastfeeding woman can take this medication. Children and even babies can takeOmeprazole if it’s prescribed by a doctor.
Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor. It helps to decreasethe amount of acid produced by the stomach. This drug blocks the proton pumpcells in the stomach to prevent it from releasing the acids.
How to Use It
Use Omeprazole as a short-term treatment for gastric andduodenal ulcer and GERD. Use it as a long-term treatment for erosiveesophagitis. Take this medication exactly as directed by your physician. Takethe drug in the morning. For severe illness, take it twice a day in the morningand in the evening.
Duodenal Ulcer: Take Omeprazole 20mg once a day for 4 to 8 weeks
Stomach ulcers due to H. pyloribacteria: Take 20mg every 12 hoursfor 10 days along with an antibiotic of 1000mg every 12 hours for 10 to 14days.
GERD: For an adult, take 20mg a day for 4 weeks. The recommended dose for children weighing 5 to 10 kg is 5 mg once a day. Those who weight 10 to 20 kg must take omeprazole 10mg once a day.
Erosive Esophagitis: Take 20mg every day for 4 to 8 weeks. Formaintenance, take 20 mg daily for 1 year.
Possible Side Effectsof Omeprazole
Most patients who take thisdrug does not experience side effects. If there are, common side effects mayinclude:
Serious but rare side effects are:
- Signsof liver problems
- Pain inthe joints
- Seriousallergic reaction
Getting the Best Result from Omeprazole
- This drug is safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Take this drug with caution if you are taking other medications for the heart, antifungal medicines, HIV and blood thinning drugs
- Do not take this drug for more than 2 weeks if you are using this without your doctor’s prescription.
- Your risk of having an abnormal growth of tissue in the upper part of the stomach may increase if you have been using this medication for more than a year.