Fexofenadine is a second-generation antihistamine. It is used for the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis in adults and children aged 6 years and over. It is also used for long-term treatment of chronic idiopathic urticaria in adults and adolescents aged 12 years and over.
Fexofenadine is a non-sedating drug that works by preventing the action of histamine. Histamine is a substance produced in the body when it reacts with foreign substance like pet fur and allergens. It acts as a receptor that when it reacts causes a chain reaction which results in allergic symptoms like sneezing; runny, itchy and watery eyes; and inflammation of the airways and eyes.
This medication inhibits the H1 receptor thus stopping the allergic reaction. It relieves the symptoms of urticaria such as itching and rash by also blocking the action of histamines. Unlike other drugs of its kind, this medication does not readily enter the brain, therefore making it less drowsy.
How to Use It
- The dose in treating seasonal allergic rhinitis in children aged 6 to 11 years is one tablet of 30mg two times a day. Take the dose in the morning and in the evening.
- The dose in treating seasonal allergic rhinitis in adult and adolescents 12 years and older is one tablet of 180mg once a day.
Your dose may vary based on the reason for your medication. Always remember to take the medication before a meal. Take the tablet with water. If you are taking antacids for indigestion, take it at least 2 hours before taking this medication. You can buy Fexofenadine online here.
Possible Side Effects of Desloratadine
Fexofenadine can cause the following side effects:
- Stomach ache
- Back pain
- Upper respiratory infections
Seek medical help right away if you’ll notice any of the following serious allergic reactions:
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue
- Chest tightness
- Difficulty breathing
Getting the Best Result from Desloratadine
- Take this medication only as needed. Stop taking it once your symptoms have eased.
- Do not take this medication with fruit juices.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not use this medication
- If you find this medication makes you sleepy avoid drinking alcoholic beverages with it.
- This product is not suitable for children below 6 years of age.
- Do not use this if you are allergic to any of its ingredient.
- Patients with a history of heart disease, epilepsy and elderly patients must use this with care.
- Stop taking this medication if your symptoms persist. Consult your doctor.