Famotidine is a prescription drug used to treat conditions like:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Sores in the lining of the intestine and stomach ( stomach and intestinal ulcers)
- Too much acid in the stomach due to tumors in the small intestine or pancreas (Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, multiple endocrine neoplasias)
- Erosive esophagitis
Famotidine is a histamine H2-receptor antagonist or H2-blockers. It works by lowering the production of acid in the stomach. It blocks the histamine, a naturally-occurring chemical in the body that stimulates the stomach cells to produce too much acid. Blocking the action of histamine reduces the production of acid in the stomach. This helps treat and prevent intestinal and stomach ulcers and erosive esophagitis. It also reduces the symptoms of GERD such as heartburn, stomach pain cough and difficulty swallowing.
You can also buy Famotidine without a prescription. You can take the over-the-counter medication to prevent and treat heartburn due to sour stomach and acid indigestion caused by some drinks and food.
How to Use It
Famotidine is available as a tablet and liquid suspension form that you need to take orally. The usual recommended dose is 20mg to 40 mg once or twice a day or as directed by your physician. Your dose and the duration of your treatment depend on:
- your condition
- how severe your condition is
- your age
- your other medical conditions
Take this medication exactly as prescribed. Do not alter your dose unless you are advised to do so. It may take up to 8 weeks for your condition to improve. Finish the entire course of your treatment. For the liquid suspension, shake the bottle well to evenly mix the medicine. For the tablet form, take it with water. Do not take 2 tablets within 24 hours unless directed.
Possible Side Effects Famotidine
Common side effects of this medication include:
Serious side effects are:
- Swelling of the face, lips, eyes, throat and tongue
- Difficulty swallowing and breathing
- Skin rash
In case of serious side effects, call your doctor right away.
Getting the Best Result from Famotidine
- Famotidine may interact with other medication. Inform your doctor if you are using any other medications for your health conditions.
- If your symptoms persist even if you have been taking the medication longer than 2 weeks, consult with your doctor.
- Avoid other acid reducers when you use this medication.
- Your condition may become worse if you take this medication while consuming alcohol.
- Famotidine can make you feel dizzy. Avoid doing activities that require a high level of alertness and attention.