Doxycycline Hyclate is an antibacterial medication. It is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It is used to treat conditions such as:
- Urinary Tract infections including pneumonia
- Eye infection
- Skin infection
- Infections of the lymphatic system
- Urinary tract infection
- Intestinal and genital infection
- Other infections caused by lice, ticks mites
It is also used to treat abscesses and pimples due to acne rosacea. It can prevent malaria and treat food poisoning among people who cannot be treated with penicillin.
Doxycycline Hyclate belongs to the tetracycline series of antibiotics. It exhibits a wide range of action which makes it one of the primary drugs against infectious diseases. It works by preventing the bacteria from growing and spreading In treating acne, this medication kills the bacteria that infect the pores. At the same time, it decreases the production of sebum that causes acne.
The generic Doxycycline Hyclate is more popular than its branded counterpart due to its high price. It’s available in various forms such as tablet, capsule, syrup and powder for suspension.
How to Use It
Doxycycline Hyclate is a prescription drug. Use this exactly as directed by your physician. For most infection, the usual recommended dose is one to two tablets a day for 7 to 14 days.
Take this medication at least 1 hour before a meal or 2 hours after a meal. In case of stomach upset, take it with food. If you are taking medications containing iron, calcium, zinc and other minerals, take this medication at least 2 to 3 hours before or after taking any of the mentioned products. In preventing malaria, take it once a day 1 to 2 days before travel. Continue medication while in the malarious areas. For the liquid form, shake the bottle well before each use.
Possible Side Effects of Doxycycline Hyclate
The most common side effects of this medication are:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
Rare but serious side effects are:
- Chest and joint pains
- Skin peeling, blistering and redness
- Unusual bruising and bleeding
- Difficulty swallowing and breathing
Getting the Best from Doxycycline Hyclate
- Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight to minimize sunburn. Limit your time under the heat of the sun. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen when outdoors.
- This medication may cause tooth discoloration among children 8 years of age and below.
- This product is not suitable for pregnant and breastfeeding mother. It can cause harm to the unborn baby.
- Patients with liver problems, lupus and low levels of leukocytes should not use this medication.
- Your risk of liver failure and hepatitis may increase if you will take this medication with alcohol. Do not take this medication while you are consuming alcohol.