Cyproheptadine is an oral antihistamine that you can buy over-the-counter as a prescription drug. It is used to help relieve the symptoms of:
- Hay fever
- Pet allergies
- Food allergies
- Reaction to insect bites
- Angioneurotic oedema, which causes swelling of the eyes, tongue, lips and throat
- Itching associated with eczema or chickenpox
- Migraine and other similar types of headache
Cyproheptadine is a sedating medication that is FDA approved. It is a first-generation antihistamine that blocks the effect of histamine in the body. It also blocks another natural substance in the body known as serotonin.
Histamine is responsible for allergic reactions like sneezing, itching, rash and many more. Blocking the action of histamine stops the allergic reaction thus reduces the symptoms of allergies. Cyproheptadine may also be helpful for those who have migraines. It blocks the action of serotonin in the brain which causes migraines.
How to Use It
This medication comes in a tablet form to take by mouth. The dose ranges from 4 mg to 20 mg a day.
Adult: The starting dose for an adult is 4 mg every 8 hours. Some may require 32 mg a day but it should not exceed 0.5 mg /kg a day. For the treatment of migraines, take one tablet at the first sign of attack. Take another tablet after 30 minutes if needed. Then take one tablet every 4-6 hours to help relieve the symptoms. Do not take more than two tablets within 4-6 hours.
Children: Children 7 to 14 years of age should take 4 mg 3 times a day. The maximum dose is 16 mg a day. Children 2 to 6 years of age must take 2 mg 3 times a day. The maximum dose is 12 mg a day. You can order Cyproheptadine here.
Possible Side Effects of Cyproheptadine
The following are some of the side effects associated with this medication:
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Increase heart rate
- Weight gain
- Difficulty sleeping
- Low blood pressure
- Blood disorder\Liver problems
Getting the Best Result from Cyproheptadine
- Do not drive or operate machinery if you are taking Cyproheptadine. This medication may cause drowsiness. Doing any activity that requires mental alertness can be dangerous.
- Cyproheptadine is not suitable for used by children under 2 years of age.
- Do not use this if you have an ulcer, open-angle glaucoma and blockage in the opening of the bladder.
- Patients who are 65 years and older must not use this product.
- Seek medical advice first before using Cyproheptadine if you have asthma, epilepsy, heart, kidney and liver problems.