Cetirizine is a second-generation antihistamine. It is available over-the-counter and as a prescription drug. It is used to relieve the symptoms of hay fever and other outdoor and indoor allergies. Symptoms of allergies may include rhinitis, itching, coughing and runny nose. It is also used to treat allergic skin rashes like hives and urticaria.
Cetirizine works by preventing the action of histamine. Histamine is a natural chemical in your body responsible for many signs and symptoms of allergies. It blocks the histamine receptor cells or H-1. This prevents the cells from being activated thus helps prevent swelling, redness, pain and other signs of allergies.
Cetirizine is non-sedating. It produces fewer side effects compared with the first generation drug of its kind. The effect also lasts longer so you can take them once a day. It is generally safe for most healthy individual who are at least 6 months old.
How to Use It
This medication comes in several doses and forms. This medication is available as a tablet, chewable tablet and syrup. The usual recommended dose is based on your weight and age. You can take this medication as needed to relieve occasional symptoms of allergies.
The typical dose for an adult and children 12 years and up is one tablet of 10 mg a day. Children aged 6 to 11 should take 5 mg a day. Children who are younger than 6 years of age must use the liquid form of this medication. Their dose is 2.5 ml two times a day, preferably in the morning and before bedtime. If you are using the chewable tablet, chew the tablet well before swallowing them. You can buy Cetirizine here.
Possible Side Effects of Cetirizine
Cetirizine may cause unwanted side effects. Common side effects are:
- Dry mouth
- Sore throat
Uncommon side effects are:
- Blurred vision
- Feeling weak
Rare side effects are:
- Weight gain
- Abnormal liver function
- Difficulty sleeping
Some side effects can be serious. In this case, seek medical help right away.
Getting the Best Result from Cetirizine
- Do not give this medication to patients with epilepsy.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women must not also use this drug.
- Do not use this if you are allergic to cetirizine.
- This medication can make you sleepy. Avoid alcoholic beverages while using this drug.
- Do not use this to treat hives with a blister and with an unusual color.
- If your allergic symptoms do not improve after 3 days of treatment, consult with your doctor right away.
- Do not use this medicine to treat severe allergic reactions called anaphylaxis.