Circulation is vital to our health. It is the process where our blood pumps blood around the body. Circulation is responsible for the distribution of blood-filled oxygen and nutrients needed by our body to produce energy.
Increase blood circulation is very important. Below are some benefits we can get from good blood circulation.
- It helps promote the growth of our cells and organ functions.
- Better blood flow can make our skin healthy. It can help our skin fight infections and bacteria.
- It can lower the blood pressure and heart rate.
Vein disorders are common. They affect the veins of the legs. These veins in the legs will carry the blood to the heart. When the vein in the leg fails to work properly the blood will flow back and pool in the legs. The pooled blood adds pressure in the veins causing vein-related disorders.
- Chronic vein disease- the veins becomes abnormal
- Pulmonary embolism- there is a sudden blockage of an artery in the lungs
- Thrombosis- this is due to blood clot formation in the body
- Lymphedema- the lymphatic ducts and vessels are blocked because of fluid retention
- Insufficiency- there is a blood clot and weakening of the vein walls
Signs and symptoms of vein disorders
Vein disorder symptoms include:
- Swelling of legs, swelling of the affected area
- Pain in the affected area
- Leg cramp
- Dull, pale skin
- Feeling of heaviness
- Problems in sitting, walking and standing
- Ulcers in the lower limbs
Vein disorders preventive measures
Preventive measures include:
- Being cautious when there is an open wound
- Do not sit with your legs crossed.
- Avoiding high-heels
- Do not wear tight-fitting clothes
- Drinking tea
- Exercise everyday
- Eating a healthy diet
- Eating foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids like salmon and tuna.
- Wearing a stocking to get relief from pain and swelling
- Avoid standing for a longer period of time
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Practicing even one sport
Vein disorder diagnosis
Your doctor will conduct a physical exam. That includes looking at the veins on your legs while standing. Diagnosis includes:
- Ultrasound to see if the valves in your leg are functioning.
Vein disorder treatment
- Self-care such as losing weight, exercise and not wearing tight clothes.
- Wearing of compression stockings helps the veins, leg muscles move blood properly.
- Your doctor may suggest varicose vein treatment such as:
- Laser surgeries
- Taking Venlafixine drug and Ginkgo plus tablets. Ginkgo plus is an herbal supplement.