Sleep is a vital indicator or our overall well-being. It affects our hormone levels, our weight and mood. Getting a good sleep is very important. We spend one-third of our lives sleeping. However, many of us are sleep deprived. It’s either we find it hard to fall asleep or we simply stay up all through the night.
There are basic remedies and natural sleep aid available that can help increase your chances of sleeping. One is the natural sleep aid tea. It’s a traditional sleep remedy used since ancient times.
It is a sleep disorder characterized by a difficulty to fall asleep. These include:
- Difficulty to fall asleep
- Waking up too often at night
- Having a trouble of going back to sleep
- Waking up so early in the morning
Causes of Insomnia
There are a lot of factors that can cause insomnia. These are the following factors that can be the reason for staying awake and keep your mind busy at night:
- Anxiety is a feeling worry and nervousness. It causes your mind busy thinking and staying awake late at night.
- Stress is an emotional and mental problem that can cause you insomnia. You keep on thinking about the thing that has been happened and it keeps on bothering your mind. There are factors that contribute to stress. These are bullying, losing a job, family problem and marriage problem.
- Depression is a mental disorder having a feeling of being sad, hopeless and loss of interest. It has a high impact on living a day-to-day habit. This may cause a problem in losing a sleep. Factors like anger, grief and trauma can cause depression.
The Science of Sleep
This science of sleep involves three processes. First, Tryptophan is converted to serotonin that plays a role in our central nervous system. Then serotonin is converted to create melatonin. It is a hormone in your brain that signals your body that it’s time to sleep. In general, tryptophan is the single amino acid that can convert to serotonin. It can also add your melatonin. We need to consume high of tryptophan to convert serotonin to melatonin to increase the risk of sleeping.
Signs and Symptoms
Sign and symptoms include:
- Difficulty sleeping at night
- Waking up so early, waking up at night
- Daytime tiredness
- Feeling sleepy during the day
- Irritable, anxiety and depression
- Trouble paying attention, focusing on tasks or remembering
- Increased errors or accidents
Prevention and measures
- Taking Valerian as tea. It is a natural treatment for anxiety, menopause and depression. It has a calming effect. The valerian root tea can promote good sleep.
- Have a sleep-inducing environment. Avoid using gadgets and computers. The use of dim lights and having comfortable mattresses and pillows may lead you to a successful sleep. Consider also eating less in the evening to avoid having a hard time getting asleep.
- Having a good exercise may lead us to live healthily. We gain energy and it boosts our stamina. Do not exercise before going to bed. It may increase the chance to keep you awake.