The word pain or “poena” in Latin means fine or penalty. It is a signal in the nervous system that something is wrong. It’s an unpleasant feeling such as sting, burn, ache or prick. Pain has many causes but pain can be helpful in diagnosing a problem. There are two types of pain namely:
- Acute pain- usually comes suddenly due to injuries, swelling and diseases. Acute pains are treatable. It usually goes away but sometimes it can turn into chronic pain.
- Chronic pain- usually lasts for a long time and is untreatable. Several factors may lead to chronic pain. These include anger, anxiety, lack of energy and depression. Common chronic pain includes cancer and arthritis.
Causes of pain
Pain can occur due to several reasons such as diseases and physical injury. It affects any part of the body. Some of the most common forms of pain include:
- Joint pain
- Neck pain
- Pain from nerve endings
- Pain from injury
- Cancer pain
Other influences of pain
Several factors can influence how you respond and how sensitive you are to pain.
- Gender– Women report more severe levels and longer lasting pain than men.
- Long-term health problems– Several chronic illnesses such as migraine headaches, fibromyalgia and irritable bowel syndrome, are associated with pain.
- Genetics– Your genes may affect how sensitive you are to pain. Your genes can also influence your pain medications.
- Social factors– Social isolation and stress can add to the experience of pain. Other social factors like poverty and unemployment are linked to a higher incidence of pain.
Signs and symptoms of pain
Signs and symptoms of acute pain include:
- Weight loss
- Flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, chills, sore throat,)
- Muscle spasms
The adverse effect of pain
Pain can induce several problems in the body is left untreated. This may cause irritations and anxiety.
Preventive measures of pain
Different types of pain can be prevented from occurring or at least reduce its intensity. Below are some tips that you can do to prevent pain:
- Get enough sleep
- Eat a balanced diet that’s rich in minerals and nutrients.
- Avoid stress. Stay away from things that cause stress.
- Get your illness treated as soon as possible.
- Stretch your muscles by doing some exercises.
Common pain medicines
Pain reliever medicine includes:
- Suminat 25
- Volini gel
- Voveran gel
- Richie K
The pain feeling is subjective and can fully be expressed by the sufferer. Your doctor may include the following parameters in his report:
- Factors that may contribute to the pain
- The duration of pain
- Impact on the body functions
- Quality, site and radiation of pain
- Any changes in the mood or behaviour
Your doctor will also conduct the following test:
- CT scan
- MRI scan
- Bone scan
- Blood test
Treatment includes taking pain reliever medicines such as paracetamol and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). The type of pain reliever medicine depends on the type of pain. Painkillers available in the market may include:
- Specific agents
- Topical or systemic
- COX 2 inhibitors