People believe that health is wealth. In order to maintain a healthy body, people find many ways to maintain it or even to develop it. One of this ways is by taking multivitamins. Most people fail to meet their dietary recommendations because of so many reasons. Taking supplements is one of the easy ways to meet nutritional gaps. It is a dietary supplement either in a liquid form, tablet, capsule, and pill. It intends to provide essential vitamins and minerals to the body. The multivitamin content may vary as well as its dosages.
Benefits of multivitamins
Taking multivitamins can be a good means to have a healthy body. The following are some advantages in taking multivitamins:
- Diet alone cannot cover up the gaps of nutrient deficiencies. So taking multivitamins can help supplement several nutrient deficiencies.
- It provides more nutrients to cover the risk of deficiency and many chronic illnesses
- It can help reduce problems that come with pregnancy.
- It supply needed vitamins and minerals among aged people.
- Taking multivitamins is cost-effective than changing dietary habits. This is because it provides high-quality sources of RDA of many essential nutrients at a minimal cost.
Risk factors and side effects
Below are some mild side effects that may occur:
- Upset stomach
- Unpleasant taste
- Allergic reactions like swelling of face, throat or lips; hives; and difficulty in breathing
- Multivitamins overdose may cause the following:
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
- Weight loss
- Hair loss
- Muscle, joint pain
- Pail or peeling skin
- Blood in the urine
- Severe headache
- Bruising or bleeding
- Severe back pain
Interactions with other factors may happen such as:
- It may interact with certain medicines that affect the result in the body.
- Avoid taking dairy products like milk or calcium supplements. This may prevent the absorption of multivitamins.
- Avoid taking more than one multivitamin products at the same time. It may lead to vitamin overdose or serious side effects.
- Large quantities of vitamins may lead to acute overdose due to the toxicity of some components.
- Pregnant women should consult first their doctors before taking any medicine.
It should be taken as directed in the label or as prescribed by the doctor. The following are some suggestions for taking this vitamin:
- Measure liquid medicine with the dosing syringe, or measuring spoon or cup.
- Chewed the chewable tablet before swallowing it.
- Place the sublingual medicine under the tongue and let it dissolve completely.
- Use it regularly as prescribed by the doctor.