Good skin and healthy hair are essential to graceful aging. It defines the state of your health to an extent. Skin is the largest organ of the human body. It needs care and maintenance. Skin and hair help protect us from shock, UV rays and pollutants. But over time, harsh elements in the environment can wear the skin. It can make the skin tougher and dryer.
The scalp skin is also subjected to the same aging. But the aging is not in the form of wrinkles. It’s in the inability to maintain healthy follicles. The scalp becomes thinner and it loses its ability to distribute nutrients to the hair follicle.
Common skin and hair ailments
Skin disorder can be permanent or temporary. It may be painful or painless. Some are minors but others are life-threatening. There are many types of skin disorders. These include:
- Cold sore
- Scalp ringworm
- Stretch marks
- Contact dermatitis
Ways to take care of skin
There are steps to ensure you have a healthy skin. These are:
- Protect yourself from the sun by doing the following:
- Wearing protective clothing
- Using sunscreen
- Avoiding the sun from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Manage stress to keep the skin in a healthy state. Exercise and meditation are some tips that can do wonder to your skin and your body as a whole.
- Treat your skin gently by:
- Avoiding strong soap
- Moisturizing dry skin
- Shaving carefully
- Limiting the bath time
- Eat a healthy diet. Foods like salmon and tuna are rich in omega 3 fatty acids helps keep the skin smooth and looking fresh. Tomato contains lycopene that’s rich in antioxidant properties. This helps neutralized free radicals that can cause damage to the skin.
- Smoking and excessive drinking of alcohol can cause premature aging of the skin.
Ways to take care of hair
- The best way to get your hair and scalp clean is to wash it properly. There are several shampoos available. But it’s important to select the best shampoo according to your hair type.
- Eat a healthy diet. Foods that are rich in iron, vitamins and omega 3 fatty acids help you get strong shiny hair.
- Let your hair dry naturally after washing.
- Comb your hair out with a wide-tooth comb. Don’t yank or tug on it.
- Oral tablets like Finasteride help prevent hair loss and improve the hair growth. Tazarotene is effective in scalp psoriasis.