Why use Zonisep in controlling and preventing partial seizures?
Zonisep is an anticonvulsant medication. It helps calm the brain and keep the mood steady. It is also clinically used to treat the symptoms of:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Infantile spasm
- Mixed seizures types such as myoclonic, Lennox-Gastaut and generalized tonic-clonic
Zonisep is sometimes used alone for partial-onset of seizure. You can purchase the generic Zonisep here at only $31.53 for 60 tablets of 100 mg. Its branded counterpart cost $957.60 for 60 tablets of the same strength.
How does Zonisep work?
Zonisep contains Zonisamide as an active ingredient. It is a sulphonamide anticonvulsant and a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. Zonisep works by blocking the calcium and sodium channels in the brain. This stabilizes the electrical activity in the brain. The drug regulates the electrical signals that the brain receives so it won’t become over stimulated and the normal functions won’t be disturbed.
How to take Zonisep?
The dose varies from person to person. There are a lot of factors involve such as:
- How well your seizures are controlled
- What other medications you are taking
- Your weight
Zonisep is an FDA approved drug in treating partial seizures. It comes in a tablet form that you need to take by mouth with or without food. Your doctor may give you a low dose at the start of your treatment. It gradually increases but not more often than once every 2 weeks. Continue taking the drug even if you feel or unless you are told to do so.
What are the side effects of Zonisep?
Zonisep may cause unwanted side effects such as:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Dry mouth
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Difficulty memorizing
- Uncontrolled eye movement
- Weight loss
- Double vision
Seek medical attention if you will experience the following:
- Severe weakness
- Extreme tiredness
- Difficulty walking
- Severe muscle pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Lack of coordination
- Sore in the mouth
Warnings and Precautions
- This product won’t cure your condition. It will only help control your condition. You may feel the full benefit of this medication 2 weeks after taking the drug.
- Zonisep may cause difficulty concentrating and drowsiness. Be cautious when doing a potentially hazardous task.
- This drug can make you sweat less causing your body to increase in temperature. Drink plenty of fluids when taking this drug.
- It may increase your risk of developing a kidney stone. Consult your doctor about this.
- This drug is not suitable for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Zonisep can cause loss of appetite. Increase the amount of your food intake when you are losing too much weight.
- Use this drug with caution in patients with :
- decreased liver and kidney function
- elderly people
- people with a high level of calcium in the urine
- people who are underweight
- Children below 12 years old