Why use Nizonide for intestinal parasite infection?
Nizonide is a broad-spectrum anti-infective drug. It is used for the treatment of diarrhea caused by the parasite Cryptosporidium parvum or Giardia. It can effectively control the growth and the spreading of a wide range of protozoa, anaerobic bacteria and helminths. This medication is prescribed for both adults and children who are at least 1 year old.
How does Nizonide work?
Nizonide contains Nitazoxanide as an active ingredient. It works by interfering with the conversions of chemicals in the protozoan cell in producing energy. This stops the growth of the parasite that causes diarrhea. Nizonide is the first-line treatment against infections caused by Giardia.
How to use Nizonide?
Follow the direction on your prescription label carefully or as directed by your physician. Take Nizonide by mouth at around the same time each day. Do not take more or less than the recommended dose.
The recommended dose for treating diarrhea among children 1 to 11 years of age is 5 ml to 10 ml. Children should take this medication every 12 hours with food for 3 days. For patients 12 years old and above, they need to take the tablet form. The recommended dose is 500 mg every 12 hours with food for 3 days.
What are the side effects of Nizonide?
Nizonide may cause unwanted side effects like:
- stomach pain
- upset stomach
- discolored urine
- skin rash
- itching, hives
- trouble breathing
- irregular heartbeat
- unusual bleeding
- unusual weakness or tiredness
Warning and Precautions
Before taking Nizonide, inform your doctor about the following:
- If you have any allergies or are allergic to the active ingredient.
- Your medical history
- If you have liver and kidney problem
- If you are taking any medications including herbal supplements, vitamin and OTC drugs
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Make sure to get enough drink to prevent dehydration
- For a missed dose, take it as soon as you remember. Do not take two doses for the missed one.