Why use Methimez 5mg for hyperthyroidism?
Methimez 5mg contains an active ingredient of Tapazole. This ingredient belongs to the group of drugs called anti-thyroid drugs. This medication is recommended because this helps prevent thyroid hormone from developing. Tapazole is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) since 1999.
How does Methimez 5mg work?
Methimez 5mg works by preventing the production of the thyroid hormone by the thyroid glands. This also lessens the activity of the thyroid hormones. You can take other medicine together with Methimez, but this may cause:
How to use Methimez 5mg?
Methimez is taken by mouth. You can take this with or without food. The first dosage for adults is 15mg per day. The dosage can be added up to 60mg if your doctor told you to do so. This is usually taken 3 times a day with the intervals of 8 hours. This medication depends on the prescription of your doctor.
What are the side-effects of Methimez 5mg?
The common side-effects of Methimez 5mg are:
- Abnormal loss of hair
- Itching and skin pigmentation
- Tingling and headache
- Dizziness and fainting
- Altered taste and heartburn
- Swelling and jaundice
- Upset stomach
- Joint pain
- Inflamed nerve
- Swelling of lymph nodes
These are some of the serious side-effects that may occur:
- Liver damage
- Kidney infection
- Inflammation of the lining of the arteries
- Low platelet, red and white blood cells count
- Lack of new blood cell production by bone marrow
Warnings and Precautions
The things that you need to be precautious with while taking Methimez 5mg are:
- If possible, try to avoid drinking alcohol while taking Methimez.
- Avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice.
- If you know a person who is suffering from the same symptom, do not share this with them.
- Do not take this medication for any other purposes. This must be used only if this has been prescribed.
- Keep this in a dry place and at room temperature.