Why use Martifur for bacterial infections?
Martifur belonged to the class of drug known as an antibiotic. It specifically used to treat acute uncomplicated urinary tract infections caused by certain types of bacteria. Martifur kills the bacteria that cause urinary tract infections. The effects of this drug can last up to 3 hours. Its bioavailability increases with foods.
How does Martifur work?
Martifur contains Nitrofurantoin as an active ingredient. It works by preventing the growth and by killing the bacteria in the urine that causes infections.
How to use Martifur?
Take Martifur tablet by mouth usually two to four times a day for 7 days. Take it with a glass of water with a meal. Take it exactly as directed by your physician. You may feel better during your first few days of treatment. However, you need to finish the entire course of the treatment or your infection may be difficult to treat.
What are the side effects of Martifur?
Martifur tablet may cause drowsiness. It may also cause other side effects. Common side effects are:
- Nausea and vomiting
- loss of appetite
- stomach pain
- numbness in your hands and feet
- pain in your hands and feet
Serious side effects are:
- Lung inflammation with symptoms like fever, chills, tiredness and chest pain.
- Liver problems with symptoms like itching, loss of appetite and having dark urine.
- Nerve damage with symptoms like muscle weakness and numbness in the hands and feet.
- Damage to the red blood cells with symptoms like weakness, tiredness and pale skin.
The side effects are possible but they do not always occur.
Warning and Precautions
Before using this drug, inform your doctor of the following:
- If you have allergies or are allergic to its active ingredient
- If you have a kidney, liver, lung disease
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding or are planning to conceive
- If you are taking other prescription and non-prescription medications
Other things to consider:
- Martifur may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate a machinery while under medication.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages. Alcohols can make the side effects of this drug even worse.