Why used Augmentin for bacterial infections?
Augmentin is effective against different types of bacterial infections like:
- Acute bacterial otitis media
- Community-acquired pneumonia
- Sinus infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Skin infections
Augmentin is FDA approved. It is available in a generic form that is a lot cheaper than its branded counterpart. You can purchase its generic version here at different strength at a very affordable price.
How does Augmentin work?
Augmentin contains amoxicillin and clavulanic acid as active ingredients. Amoxicillin belongs to the class of drug known as penicillins. Clavulanic acid is a beta-lactase inhibitor. It helps prevent some types of bacteria from becoming resistant to amoxicillin. This allows the amoxicillin to do its job and to fight the bacteria that cause the infections in the body. The amoxicillin kills the bacteria by attaching itself with the proteins of the bacteria. This prevents the bacteria from building up their cell wall which results in their death.
How to use Augmentin?
The dose of Augmentin depends on the following:
- Your age
- Your condition
- The severity of your condition
- Your other medical conditions
- Your other medications
Take Augmentin exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Take it by mouth on a full stomach. Do not take more than the recommended dose. Your symptoms may improve after a few days of treatment. However, do not stop using this drug unless you are told by your physician. This medication will not work against viral infections.
What are the side effects of Augmentin?
Seek medical attention if you have the following signs of allergic reactions:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of face, tongue, lips and throat
Call your doctor if you have:
- Little to no urination
- Severe stomach pain
- Severe diarrhea/ bloody diarrhea
- Loss of appetite
- Signs of liver problems such as jaundice, pain in the upper stomach
Some common side effects are:
- Vaginal itching
- Vaginal discharge
Warning and Precautions
Before using this medication, tell your physician of:
- Your list of other medications. Augmentin can interact with drugs like warfarin and others.
- Your medical history
- Your other medications that include OTC drugs, vitamins and herbal supplements.
Other things to consider:
- Augmentin can interact with dairy products. Avoid consuming dairy products while using this drug.
- This medication is not suitable for use by pregnant women.