Why use Althrocin for bacterial infections?
Althrocin is prescribed in treating bacterial infections like:
- Strep throat
- Sexually transmitted disease such as primary syphilis
- Whooping cough (pertussis)
- Lung infections
- Ear infection
- Urinary tract infection
- Intestinal amebiasis
- Prophylaxis for rheumatic fever
- Acute pelvic inflammatory disease
- Conjunctivitis of newborn
Althrocin may be used with patients who are allergic to penicillin for the prevention of heart valve infection and rheumatic fever. It is a cost-effective medication that you can get here at a very reasonable price. The peak effect of this drug is observed within 3 to 4 hours of administration. The effect can last for an average of 4 to 6 hours.
How does Althrocin work?
Althrocin contains erythromycin as an active ingredient. It works by preventing the bacteria from growing and multiplying by interfering with their ability to make proteins. Without the necessary protein, the bacteria that cause the infection will not thrive.
How to use Althrocin?
Althrocin comes in a tablet form that you need to take by mouth with a glass of water. Take it exactly as prescribed by your doctor. You may also read the information provided on the product leaflet. Take Althrocin with or without a food three to four times a day or as prescribed by your physician. The usual dose is 250 mg every 6 hours or 500 mg every 12 hours. Your doctor may increase your dose by 4 mg a day according to the severity of your infection.
In children, the usual dose is 30 mg to 50 mg per body kilogram per day. The doctor may adjust the dose depending on the weight age and the severity of the condition. Do not take more or less than what is advised.
What are the side effects of Althrocin?
Althrocin may cause some side effects. Some side effects are common but some are rare and serious. Common side effects are:
- Stomach pain
- Upset stomach
- Loss of appetite
Serious but rare side effects are:
- Itching and rash
- Pale Stools
- Unusual tiredness
- Difficulty swallowing and breathing
- Dark urine
- Irregular heartbeat
- Severe diarrhea
Contact your doctor right away if you experience any serious side effects. Inform your doctor too if your symptoms don’t go away.
Warnings and precautions
- Althrocin may cause some unwanted side effects when interacted with other drugs. Tell your doctor of all the medications that you are taking including the OTC drugs, vitamins and herbal supplements.
- Tell also your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or are having surgery.
- Do not take this drug if you are allergic to erythromycin.