Why Acamprol for alcoholism?
Acamprol contains an active ingredient that reduces alcohol cravings. It is a promising tool for the maintenance and abstinence in patients that are alcohol dependent after alcohol withdrawal. Acamprol has little potential for drug interaction. It is therefore safe for individuals taking multiple medications.
How does Acamprol work?
Acamprol contains Acamprosate as an active ingredient. This medication is used along with counseling and support. Drinking alcohol for a long time can change the way the brain works. Acamprosate works by restoring the natural balance of neurotransmitter in the brain. Acamprol can reduce the urge for alcohol because it works directly on the neurotransmitter.
How to use Acamprol?
Read the product label before you take this drug. It is still best to consult your doctor first. You can take the drug by mouth with or without foods or as directed by your doctor. Take this drug at around the same time every day. Do not take more or less than what is prescribed. Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush, split or chew the tablet. Continue taking this drug even if you do not think you are likely to start drinking alcohol again. Do not stop taking Acamprol without consulting your doctor.
What are the side effects of Acamprol?
Acamprol may cause unwanted side effects. Contact your doctor if you will experience any of the symptoms below:
- Dry mouth
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Upset stomach
- Loss of appetite
Serious side effects may include:
- Severe depression
- Suicidal thoughts
- Signs of kidney problems
- Abdominal pain
- Black stool, coffee-ground like vomit
- Severe allergic reaction
Warning and Precautions
Before taking this drug, tell your doctors if:
- You are allergic to acamprosate
- You have other allergies
- You are taking any other medications
- You are taking vitamins and supplements
- You are pregnant or planning to conceive
- You have had a surgery. This includes dental surgery.
Other things to consider include:
- Do not use this drug if you have kidney problems.
- Do not consume alcohol if you are using this drug.
- Do not adjust your dosage without consulting your doctor.