Azelastine is a prescription antihistamine. It is available as generic and brand names like Astelin and Astepro. It is chemically different from other antihistamines and is used only as a nasal inhaler. It is indicated for the treatment of symptoms of allergic rhinitis such as nasal itching, runny nose and sneezing for children 12 years of age and adults.
Azelastine was approved by the U.S Food and Drug Administration since 2001 for both allergic and non-allergic rhinitis. It works by blocking the effects of histamine responsible for allergic symptoms. Azelastine nasal spray offers several advantages over other antihistamines:
- It starts working within 15 minutes while other nasal steroids may take hours or days to start working.
- It has fewer side effects compared with other nasal steroids.
- It offers a dual action by blocking the H1 attachment and by preventing the mast cells from releasing the histamines.
- It has an anti-inflammatory effect that helps relieve breathing problems.
- It helps ease eye allergies.
How to Use It
Azelastine is a fast-acting, well-tolerated H1-receptor antagonist for seasonal rhinitis. Use this nasal spray exactly as directed by your physician. Do not use more than what is advised. You can buy Azelastine here.
To use the spray:
- Prime the spray if you are going to use it for the first time. Do this by pressing down the pump until a fine spray comes out.
- Tilt back your head and insert the tip of the nose piece into your nostril. Cover your other nostril and release the spray while breathing gently through the open nostril. Do the same on your other nostril.
Use 1 to 2 sprays in each nostril twice a day.
Possible Side Effects of Azelastine
The most common side effects are:
- A bitter taste
- Weight gain
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- Dry mouth
- Nasal irritation
A very serious side effect is rare. However, get medical help as soon as possible if you will notice symptoms of allergic reactions like:
- Swelling and itching of the face
- Severe dizziness
- Trouble breathing
Getting the Best Result from Azelastine
- Do not use Azelastine nasal spray in combination with other drug containing antihistamines.
- Azelastine can cause drowsiness. Avoid doing activities that require mental alertness. Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages too.
- Pregnant women should use this medication only when clearly needed.
- Keep this spray away from your eyes. Doing so may cause eye irritation and blurred vision.
- This nasal spray may pass into breast milk and may cause side effects in a child who is breastfed.
- Azelastine is a long-term medication that comes with a risk if you will not use it as prescribed.