Azelaic Acid For Acne Vulgaris
Azelaic Acid (Aziderm Cream) is a prescription medication. It is prescribed by most dermatologists for the treatment of mild to moderate acne vulgaris. It also clears the swelling, bumps and lesions caused by rosacea, a skin condition that causes flushing, redness and pimples on the face.
Azelaicacid belongs to the class of medication known as dicarboxylic acids. It is anaturally occurring acid found in grains like wheat, barley and rye. There isalso Azelaic acid being synthesized in the lab.
Azelaicacid works in many ways:
- It kills the Propionibacteriaacnes, the bacteria that infect the skin pores causing an acne breakout.
- It decreases the production of keratin, asubstance in the skin that can lead to the development of acne.
- It keeps the pores clearby breaking down existing pore blockages or comedones and keeping new ones fromforming.
- It gently exfoliates theskin by dissolving flaky old skin cells.
- It evens out skin tone byimproving post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- In treating rosacea, itworks by decreasing the redness and the swelling of the skin.
How to Use It
Azelaic acid comes in a gel, foam, lotion and cream form. It is sold under different brand names. It is the first-line treatment against acne but it is not quite effective as other acne medications. So, dermatologist often prescribed Azelaic acid along with acne medications.
Whenusing Azelaic acid, clean the affected area. Apply this medication twice a daypreferably in the morning and in the evening. Apply only a thin layer of themedication and gently rub it on the affected area. Do not use it in a largeamount or more often than directed. It can take months to really get acne undercontrol. Keep using this medication until you’re told to stop.
Possible Side Effects of Azelaic Acid
Azelaicacid may cause side effects like:
- Peeling and dryness
- Burning, itching orstinging
Someside effects can be serious. Cal your doctor right away if you will experienceany of the following side effects:
- Difficulty breathing andswallowing
- Swelling of the throat,lips, face and eyes
Getting the Best Result from Azelaic Acid
- Pregnant women should onlyuse this medication when clearly needed.
- Do not use this product ifyou are allergic to it.
- Azelaic acid is not themost popular acne medication but for some people, it’s their perfect fit.
- Avoid foods and drinksthat may cause you to blush and flush if you have rosacea.